A tweet from Vetle Lunder, a senior analyst at K33 Research, has sparked fervent discussions among traders and enthusiasts. Lunder’s bold proclamation suggests that the market is significantly underestimating the transformative potential of U.S. Bitcoin (BTC) exchange-traded funds (ETFs) and Ethereum (ETH) futures-based ETFs. In this comprehensive analysis, we will delve into Lunder’s five key points and their implications for the cryptocurrency market.
- U.S. Spot ETF Approval Odds at an All-Time High: Lunder’s first assertion hinges on the probability of U.S. Spot ETF approvals, which he claims have never been better. He suggests that this is the cornerstone for a potential upheaval in the cryptocurrency market.
- BTC Trading Patterns Before and After BlackRock: Lunder draws attention to the price trajectory of BTC, noting that it has returned to pre-announcement levels by the investment giant BlackRock. The market’s resilience in the face of significant news serves as a testament to its maturity.
- Strong Inflows Expected with ETF Competition: The third point is perhaps the most intriguing; Lunder expects fierce competition and simultaneous launches of U.S. ETFs, with potential inflows surpassing those of BITO and Purpose in their initial trading days. He supports this claim with data on Purpose, which attracted inflows of 11,141 BTC, and BITO, which saw 19,425 BTC in its first ten days.
- Relationship Between BTC Investment Flows and Prices: Lunder’s fourth assertion emphasizes the symbiotic relationship between BTC investment vehicle flows and BTC price trends. His data reveals that substantial net inflows correlate with market strength, and extreme inflows significantly boost BTC’s performance.
- ETF Approvals’ Potential Impact on BTC Price: Lunder’s final point is a projection of the potential impact of ETF approvals. He forecasts that U.S. spot ETFs could amass at least 30,000 BTC in the first 10 days of trading, leading to a 66% BTC rally to $42,000. However, he acknowledges this as a “naïve assumption” that does not account for other market dynamics.
Lunder’s insights challenge the prevailing sentiment in the cryptocurrency market, which has been marred by a lackluster summer and recent poor momentum. He remains bullish, citing forthcoming ETF developments and the upcoming BTC halving, and views current levels as an opportunity for aggressive accumulation.
Lunder’s analysis underscores the significance of upcoming regulatory decisions and the potential for market-altering events that should not be underestimated. Traders and investors would be wise to monitor these developments closely in the coming months.